Wednesday 5 October 2011

Amongst the many, many (many) comments I get about having twins, one of the most common is something along the lines of "I don't know how you do it". I suppose this blog is an attempt at answering that question as I always struggle to come up with a snappy response. This is usually due to the fact that the moments people choose to talk to me are often when I'm forcing one unbendable baby into the pushchair, while the other's screaming hits levels only a dog can hear, and someone else's toddler pulls tampons out of my changing bag.

I've tried giving a genuine response - something about the importance of establishing a routine, feeding simultaneously, accepting help - but if I don't want to get embroiled in a conversation with a complete stranger in the parents' room at John Lewis I need to come up with a good one-liner that says "yes, it's really hard, but I want you to think that I'm coping marvellously... and have nice hair". So I've started just smiling in a knowing fashion and saying sweetly "I don't know what you mean", which usually gets a polite laugh, but which is more than a little smug.

So I've decided to write about it all... and maybe put print-outs up on the wall in John Lewis.

No comments:

Post a Comment